Jump to content

Question for first time tax report

Recommended Posts

Hi Team,

As my parents first time land to canada at Mar 3rd, and we need report their income to CRA in order to receive the NOA to apply some benefits for them, but UFILE show following 2 errors.

You are a non-resident or deemed resident, or you emigrated during the tax year. *

The taxpayer is a non-resident, or filing an NR6, or filing under section 115, 216, or 217. *

So I have 2 questions  here:

1. As they just come this month, so they are definitely not resident last year, but we still need report to CRA to apply some benefits for them, any idea on that?
2. I want to fill form RC151 for them, where can I find it?







Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello crazystormboy,

Please contact the CRA to determine the Non Resident status :

To contact CRA :
1-800-959-8281 for inquiries related to individuals.
 Telephone numbers – Canada Revenue Agency / CRA wait times:


To apply for the RC151 GST/HST credit you must be a Canadian resident.
The GST/HST credit is a non-taxable amount paid four times a year to
individuals and families with low and modest incomes to help offset the goods
and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) that they pay.
Eligibility criteria for the GST/HST credit
You are eligible for this credit if you are a resident of Canada for income tax
purposes at the beginning of the month in which the Canada Revenue
Agency (CRA) makes a payment. In the month before the CRA makes a
quarterly payment, you must be at least 19 years old. If you are under 19
years old, you must meet at least one of the following conditions during the
same period:
• You have (or had) a spouse or common-law partner.
• You are (or were) a parent and live (or lived) with your child.
If you are turning 19 before April in the year after you became a resident of
Canada, you can apply for the GST/HST credit now. Generally, you have to
be 19 years of age or older to get the GST/HST credit, but you can be
younger than 19 to apply.
Who is considered a resident of Canada
You are considered to be a resident of Canada when you establish sufficient
residential ties in Canada. Residential ties include:
• a home in Canada
• a spouse or common-law partner who lives in Canada
• dependants who live in Canada
If you got a letter from the CRA about your residency status, include a copy of
it with this application.
If you are not sure if you are a resident of Canada, send Form NR74,
Determination of Residency Status (Entering Canada), and include it with this
application. The CRA will give you an opinion about your residency status.
You need a social insurance number
You and your spouse or common-law partner (if you have one) need a social
insurance number (SIN) to apply. However, if Service Canada will not give
you a SIN, you can still apply by filling out this form and attaching a letter
explaining why you cannot get a SIN. You must also attach a clear photocopy
of any of the following documents:
• passport
• driver's licence
• visitor record
• birth certificate or proof of birth
• any document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
• any document that proves your or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...