Jump to content

Refile of 2022 Return Vs Submitting T1-Adj form for 2022 with 2023's Returns


Recommended Posts

I just found out in 2022's filing I missed putting in about 16 Entries of Medical Expenses >$500 total and a $250 Charitable donation. One important note is we used Income Splitting for my pension with my spouse. 


I believe I have 2 options available to fix this.

1. Use the refile function to resubmit

2. Use the T1-Adj form with my 2023 filing.

Given both the medical expenses and charitable contributions are calculated fields I would like to use the refile option but I read somewhere you can not do this if you used income splitting.


1. Can I use the refile option?

2. If I use the T1-Adj option how do I use ufile or figure out the final calculated values for Line (33099/33199 - Medical) and (34900 - Charitable) and do I have to submit receipts or a tally sheet?





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Relic,

You are correct, it is a CRA restriction that you must use the T1-Adj for a REFile if you have a pension split.  You can still use UFIle to submit the T1-Adj.  You will have to determine the before and after values by updating UFIle and noting the new  amount (as well s the previous amount).  Keet the receipts in case CRA asks for them.

You can use the program to make an adjustment to a tax return that has already been filed. Make sure you have received your notice of assessment before asking for changes to your return.

NOTE: We recommend that you keep your previously filed tax return and prepare separately an amended tax return based on the changes you make. Print this amended tax return and compare it with your original tax return. Take note of the line numbers that are affected, as you will need them when completing your adjustment request.

To do so, please follow these steps:
1- On the "Left-side menu of the Interview tab", click on "Interview setup".
2- On the page that appears to the right, scroll down to the "Other topics" section, check the box for "Adjustment request for a tax return that has been filed" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.
3- Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Adjustment request" at the bottom of the list and, on the right-hand side of the screen, click on the plus "+" symbol to the right of the form you need, either "T1-ADJ adjust a federal tax return" or for Quebec residents "TP-1.R adjust a Quebec tax return".
4- Select the "Taxation year" you want to correct from the drop-down menu to your right, and then enter the relevant information.
5- For the question "Line number of the jacket regarding the adjustment", choose the one that applies from the drop-down menu. Then, on the next two lines, enter respectively the amount that was claimed on the original tax return, followed by the revised amount to be claimed on the amended tax return.
6- If you have multiple lines to correct, click on "+ Add another" to add additional lines.
7- If you have additional information or explanations, fill out the bottom section. If needed, attach a separate sheet with your adjustment request by recording the necessary information. If applicable, provide also the corresponding line number for the credit.
8- For Québec residents who wish to amend both their federal and Québec returns, on the "Left-side menu of the Interview tab", click again on "Adjustment request" at the bottom of the list and repeat the procedure.
9- Once you have completed your adjustment request(s), click on the fourth tab "Tax Return".
10- Double check to make sure the adjustment request(s) are completed correctly. Then, click on the "Print" icon, choose the option "Selected pages" and on the list to the right, select the pages to print, i.e., the forms T1-ADJ (federal) and/or TP-1. R (Quebec). To select multiple pages, press and hold the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard when clicking the pages to print from the list. Finally, click on the button "Start printing".

Please note that you cannot submit an adjustment request electronically via NETFILE. You must print and mail the T1-ADJ and/or the TP-1. R. Be sure to sign your request(s) and provide all supporting documents.

Also, please make sure to include a telephone number where the CRA and/or Revenu Quebec may contact you during the day.

The CRA will send you a Notice of Reassessment once your adjustment request has been processed. Revenu Québec will do the same once they processed your TP-1. R form.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...