Français

Deemed Resident - Quebec

Hi,

I'm getting an error message when updating my residency status. I work in Dubai and my wife and kids live in Quebec. Based on the residency rules, I'm considered a deemed resident since I have significant residential ties in Canada. I was told that since Quebec requires a separate tax filing, I would have to report the income on the Quebec forms too. However, I can't seem to find that option when I select my province of residence in the Identification section.

I'm also getting an error message saying that the province specified in my address is different from my province of residence on December 31, 2023. I put deemed resident in the identification section.

What am I suppose to put as my province of residence if I been working overseas? Is it still possible to NETFILE or would I have to paper file?

Please help.

Thanks!

Hello dp007,

As Deemed Resident, similar to a Non Resident you should mail in the tax returns.

image.png

Identification

image.png

Print Tax Return to mail / Mail Return / Print Return / Print PDF T1 and T2
In Tab 4, at the bottom of the screen, select the PDF Icons :
[PDF] Federal Print
[PDF] Quebec Print <- - - - IF in Quebec
FYI – for the entire tax return:
[PDF] Download PDF

image.png
Then depending on your PDF reader, eg. Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft EDGE; you can save to: 
*desktop, downloads, file directory
*external device such as CD, external hard drive, USB key

Hi

Thank you for your reply. However, when I change the province of residence to "Deemed Resident," the option of the Quebec filing goes away. I cannot print anything for Quebec either since the software assumes only a federal filing. 

How can I fix this?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am having a similar issue. Filing for my elderly parents who are deemed residents (arrived in July 2022).

If I follow your advice above, I can print federal form. However, when I change province of residence back to Quebec to print the Quebec form, summary shows an amount of 4000 CAD that my parents are supposed to receive. Looks like it's the Senior Assistance Tax Credit but I am pretty sure that if they are not residents they are not supposed to be eligible for this amount. I also filled in the Residency Status form in the Immigrant, emigrant or non-resident section, but it didn't change anything. Is there any way to show in the Quebec return that they are deemed residents?

Thank you!

Hello Mariia,

(1.) Deemed Resident

Here is an example of how to enter deemed resident - note that you can be deemed resident OR deemed non-resident.  You can check with the CRA to determine status.

image.png

(2.) Eligibility Conditions for the Senior Assistance Tax Credit

You should check with Revenu Quebec as to eligibility.

You may be entitled to the refundable senior assistance tax credit if you qualify as an eligible individual and you meet at least one of the following conditions:

You were 70 or over on December 31, 2023.
    Your spouse on December 31, 2023, qualifies as an eligible individual and was 70 or over on December 31, 2023.

You are an eligible individual if, on December 31, 2023:

You were resident in Québec.
    You or your spouse on December 31, 2023, was:
        a Canadian citizen,
        permanent resident or a protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, or
        a temporary resident or the holder of a temporary resident permit, within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, who had been living in Canada for the last 18 months.

You are not considered an eligible individual if:

you were confined to a prison or similar institution on December 31, 2023, and, in 2023, you were confined for one or more periods totalling more than 183 days; or
    you or your spouse on December 31, 2023, was exempt from income tax for 2023.

https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citizens/tax-credits/senior-assistance-tax-credit/eligibility-conditions/

Thank you for the reply Geo123,

I contacted Revenu Quebec and was told that they are not eligible for this amount since they haven't been in Canada for 18+ months yet (arrived in July 2022).

However, I still can't find a way to show it in the Quebec tax return, the amount gets calculated automatically. I did fill the Information about the residency status form but it didn't change the final amount.

Hello Mariia,

>>Go to Identification : Situation >> Deemed Resident >> Does not generate a Revenu Quebec Tax Return and therefore no senior assistance tax credit will be produced.

image.png

>>No Quebec Return

image.png