Français

UFile 2023 (Windows) - Reporting what appears to be a bug in marital status change on a joint return

Situation:

My wife passed away last year.

I am filing a joint return.

On the identification page for myself, I selected marital status change - widowed.

On the marital status page page for my wife, there is no option to specify 'taxpayer became deceased'

The review page is throwing the following error for my wife's declaration:

'You reported a change in marital status during the year which is incompatible with your marital status on Dec 31, 2023

I want to point out that on my wife's identification page, there is no option to specify marital status or a change to marital status for 2023.

How shall I proceed?

Thank-you. 

Hello AngeloMtl459,

If you are the designated family head and your spouse has passed away in the tax year, you must account for this by filing a final return for the deceased spouse. To do so, please follow the steps below for your file:

1- First, on the "Identification" section of the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", choose "Widowed" to the question "Marital status on December 31, 2022", and for the question "Did your marital status change in 2023?" select "Change".

2- Enter the relevant information in the Current address, CRA questions, Revenu Quebec questions, Quebec prescription drug insurance plan and Solidarity tax credit.

3- Back on the "Left side menu of the Interview tab", select "Marital status change".

4- On the page to the right, for the question "Change in your marital status in 2023", select "Taxpayer became widowed" in the drop-down menu and enter the date of change.

5- Subsequently, enter the information required to complete your tax returns.

6- Under "Senior home support", choose the appropriate option (s) from the screen to your right

Then, in the deceased person's file, follow these specific steps:

1- On the "Left side menu of the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2- On the screen that appears to the right, check the box for "Tax return for a deceased person" and click on "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3- Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab" and select "Deceased".

4- Fill out the new page that appears to your right according to the information that you have for the deceased spouse and choose the "Final return" option.

5- Subsequently, enter the information required to complete your spouse's tax returns.

Deceased returns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwTF5nk3cAs