Jump to content

non resident less than 6 month work permit


Recommended Posts


I came to Canada with working holiday visa in August. As I was staying in Canada less than 183days in tax year, could I file tax return on Ufile? I was working for a company and got a T4.

I didn't know that I was considered as a non resident, so that I already submit a document through the Ufie. Should I cancel the claim?


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello mnako,

To determine your status please contact CRA :

1-800-959-8281 for inquiries related to individuals.

 Telephone numbers – Canada Revenue Agency / CRA wait times:


Determining Non Resident  - Some factors to consider :
a) In which foreign country was the employment income earned
    b) If the foreign country was the USA did the person have a Green Card or US Citizenship
    c) Did the person maintain residential ties to Canada while abroad (maintained a habitual abode in Canada, driver’s license, provincial medical insurance, Canadian bank account etc)
    d) How many days did they remain abroad? 
    e) Did they file an income tax return in the foreign country
You should consider the above and check with the CRA to establish your status.  You can then contact us so we may guide you how to proceed ie type of Non Resident or emigrant.

Non-residents of Canada

Income Tax Folio S5-F1-C1, Determining an Individual’s Residence Status

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...