Jump to content

1042 S form

Recommended Posts


I receive a pension from a company in the US. I am Canadian resident. I receive form 1042 S and they withold tax. I do have a credit for the tax witheld.
the question is: Can I split the pension income with my wife and can I deduct the 2000$ pension deduction for that income. I am more than 65.

thanks for your answer


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Luc Alarie,

USA IRS Form Ssa-1042s Social Security Benefit Statement
SSA-1099/1042S, Social Security Benefit Statement
It is for the tax withheld under chapter 3 on certain income of foreign persons, including nonresident aliens, foreign partnerships, foreign corporations, foreign estates, and foreign trusts
1. On the left side menu of the "Interview tab" select "Interview setup".

2. On the page that appears to the right, go to the "Investment income and expenses" group, check the box "Foreign income and foreign property (T1135)" and click on "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3- Return to the left side menu of the "Interview tab" and select "Foreign income and property".

4- On the screen to your right, click on "Foreign pension income (includes U.S social security benefits)".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...