Français

Someone passed away in Feb 2024

jonny

Hi,

My dad passed away in Feb 2024 (this year) and I am trying to file his 2023 tax return. I've the following questions:

1) Can I use UFile for it? If yes, do I file it as a normal year tax return? and can this return be submitted using NETFILE?

2) In the interview question, do I select "Tax return for a deceased person"?

Appreciated for any help,

Jonny

46 minutes ago, Geo123 said:

Hello jonny,

1) For 2023 do as a normal tax return and Netfile it.  Do not enter deceased

2) For 2024 do as a deceased return - which must be mailed.

Thank you so much Geo. 

I am also preparing a 2023 return for someone who passed away in February 2024.  Just to clarify...I do NOT choose "Deceased taxpayer next year (memo)" option and the "Final Return" for 2024 return?  

When would the "Deceased taxpayer next year (memo)" be used?

Edited by poshty59
added a question

Thanks I guess I'm not quite getting it.  Why would you not use this option when preparing the 2023 return as you replied to Jonny above?

Hello jonny,

1) For 2023 do as a normal tax return and Netfile it.  Do not enter deceased

2) For 2024 do as a deceased return - which must be mailed.

Thanks Geo123...but when would the "Deceased taxpayer next year (memo)" option be used?  What would happen if I chose this?

This is what's confusing when you say "Deceased taxpayer next year (memo) is for the deceased in the year prior to death (2023)"  but then say to do it as a normal return.  Sorry for being a pest

Hello poshty59,

You are welcome.  See below.

Deceased taxpayer next year (Memo)

Is not transmitted with the memo – is an internal memo and is not required.

Example for deceased in preceading year as memo AND following year as Deceased Return

>> If this return is for a deceased person, enter the date of death (dd-mm-yyyy). 01-06-2024

Type of return for the year of death  [Deceased taxpayer next year (Memo)]

image.png

>>”regular” T1 – not deceased return

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Geo123,

When the year of death is entered for memo purposes (i.e. 2023), the system refuses to Netfile, and indicates it must be mailed.

Would you suggest to omit the "date of death" this year and Netfile it? Then do a final deceased return for 2024?

Thanks in advance!

On 4/18/2024 at 3:22 PM, DKMY said:

Hello Geo123,

When the year of death is entered for memo purposes (i.e. 2023), the system refuses to Netfile, and indicates it must be mailed.

Would you suggest to omit the "date of death" this year and Netfile it? Then do a final deceased return for 2024?

Thanks in advance!

DKMY, I tried to re-create a new return without entering the year of death but it still not able to submit by Netfile. I think it is not Ufile that cannot do it, but CRA declined it. The reason I said that is because after my dad passed away, I filed a form to notify CRA about it (for other reason such as stop sending his OAS etc). Shortly after that, CRA stopped my Dad's online CRA account access. So I suspect as part of that process, CRA will not allow any electronic filing even it is not the final return (unless you haven't inform them yet)

Hi, hoping someone can help.

My spouse and I became legally common-law married in May 2023 then he passed away due to cancer in Sept 2023. 

I am the Ufile account head, I've added him as a spouse on my Ufile acct. When I enter marital status as "Widowed" and "Changed. Then on the "Marital Status Change" page I enter "Taxpayer Widowed", Ufile will generate the tax returns and says that I can e-file my tax return and my kids. I know I have to send my spouses return in by mail. BUT when click on "File return" for myself I get a CRA error that says I cannot e-file because of Schedule 6. I've indicated that I'm widowed and not married or common-law.

Do I file the 2023 return as if my spouse did not pass and just indicate my marital status as "Common-law" and "Changed" then on the "Marital Status Change" page I enter "no spouse, then common-law"? Then file a deceased final return for my spouse and myself as a widow for 2024?

Ufile error msg 2023.pdf

Hello SS7779,

If you are the designated family head and your spouse has passed away in the tax year, you must account for this by filing a final return for the deceased spouse. To do so, please follow the steps below for your file:

1- First, in the Family Head (FH) "Identification" section of the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", choose "Widowed" to the question "Marital status on December 31, 2023", and for the question "Did your marital status change in 2023?" select "Change".

2- Enter the relevant information in the Current address, CRA questions, Revenu Quebec questions, Quebec prescription drug insurance plan and Solidarity tax credit.

3- Back in the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Marital status change".

4- On the page to the right, for the question "Change in your marital status in 2023", select "Taxpayer became widowed" in the drop-down menu and enter the date of change.

5- Subsequently, enter the information required to complete your tax returns.

6- Under "Senior home support", choose the appropriate option (s) from the screen to your right  (If applicable)

Then, in the spouse (SP) deceased person's file, follow these specific steps:

1- On the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2- On the screen that appears to the right, check the box for "Tax return for a deceased person" and click on "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3- Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab" and select "Deceased".

4- Fill out the new page that appears to your right according to the information that you have for the deceased spouse and choose the "Final return" option.

5- Subsequently, enter the information required to complete your spouse's tax returns.

The program will generate schedule J of Quebec in the file of the head of the family for the home support of the seniors.