Français

CHSLD/Maison des Aines Fees (Medical Expenses?)

Hi,

Both of my parents are over 70 and live in Quebec. In the 2nd half of 2023, my father was in a CHSLD for a couple of months and then got transferred to a Maison des Aines (MDA) right after.

I've received an accommodation contribution statement from the CHSLD. I do my parents' income tax returns in uFile and this is my first time dealing with this specifically, so any assistance would be helpful. 

1) I've read online that the CHSLD fees (rent) can be claimed as a medical expense - is this correct? if yes, do I add this as a medical expense on my father's or mother's (spouse) side of tax return?

2) Can we claim the monthly rent expenses at Maison des Aines as a medical expense like CHSLD or would this be somewhere else (Senior Home Support?) or can't claim?

3), My father was in the hospital for over a month including last 2+ weeks that my mother paid rent for his room before his move to the CHSLD - can this be claimed as a medical expense?

• Jason M changed the title to CHSLD/Maison des Aines Fees (Medical Expenses?)

Hello Jason M,

Schedule J – Line 458 – Tax credit for home-support services for seniors
You may be entitled to the Quebec tax credit for home-support services for seniors if you meet both of the following conditions:
*You were resident in Québec on December 31, 2023.
*You were at least 70 years of age on December 31, 2023.
*If you and/or your spouse on December 31, 2023 are entitled to the credit, select your situation below.
*You lived in your own house or in a health establishment
*You lived in an apartment building (other than a private seniors' residence)
*You lived in a condominium
*You lived in a private seniors' residence
 *Private seniors' residence for your spouse who lived in another apartment or room from you
* Credit for home-support services - no calculation (advanced payment same as tax credit)
https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citizens/income-tax-return/completing-your-income-tax-return/how-to-complete-your-income-tax-return/line-by-line-help/451-to-480-refund-or-balance-due/line-458/
To access in UFile go to Interview – left hand of the screen near the bottom :
*Prior year information
*Quebec tax credits  
*Senior home support < - - - - HERE
*Refund/balance owing
>>Select : 
*You lived in your own house or in a health establishment  “+”
*You lived in an apartment building (other than a private seniors' residence)  “+”
*You lived in a condominium “+”
*You lived in a private seniors' residence “+”
*Private seniors' residence for your spouse who lived in another apartment or room from you* Credit for home-support services - no calculation (advanced payment same as tax credit) “+”

https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citizens/income-tax-return/completing-your-income-tax-return/how-to-complete-your-income-tax-return/line-by-line-help/451-to-480-refund-or-balance-due/line-458/