Français

Unable to claim child care deduction get warning - "Ufile cannot claim a deduction for the child care expenses entered"

I am receiving a warning that a deduction cannot be claimed for child care expenses entered.  Expenses have been entered in the returns for each of my children. I've setup my spouse up, but have only provide his net income. I've ensured that every question in the Spouse - Basic information section is answered. 

Clicking on the link with the warning takes me to the field for "What information will you provide for your spouse?" which is answered with Net Income only.

Please advise what I need to do to correct and be able to claim the deduction.

Hello MareHare,

In order for UFile to calculate the childcare expenses you must enter the complete information for your spouse. You are not required to NetFile your spouse’s return, only to enter the complete information so that the program can calculate the appropriate amounts. 
To enter the complete information for your spouse, go to the left side of the Interview section and click on
“Spouse-Interview type” and select “Complete information (recommended)”.

CAN YOU CONFIRM this is new for 2023, as I have never entered my spouse's information in the past 10 years, and have successfully claimed child care deduction as the lower earning spouse. In addition the warning stated does not show that a complete information for spouse is needed to claim the childcare deduction. 

Important note: You must select Complete information in the following situations:

• Your spouse died in the year;
  • You wish to split eligible pension income with your spouse (line 11600);
  • You wish to claim the Canada workers benefit for lower income families (line 45300)
    (unless your spouse was non-resident for the whole year);
  • You were a Canadian resident throughout the year and your spouse immigrated in Canada in the year;
  • You and your spouse immigrated in Canada in the year.

For more information click here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue, but because my spouse and I are filing separately I literally do not have the option of providing his "Complete information" for the interview.

Does this really mean we can't claim any of our childcare expenses for 2023, or just that UFile is unable to give us a reliable estimate? In the second case, will it be sorted out when CRA provides the official return?

Edit: Looking at the return, I can see that the T778 form just hasn't been generated, period. So spouses who don't file taxes together are unable to claim childcare expenses. Do I have that right?

Edited by dpfeffer
more information

Hello dpfeffer,

In order for UFile to calculate the childcare expenses you must enter the complete information for your spouse. You are not required to NetFile your spouse’s return, only to enter the complete information so that the program can calculate the appropriate amounts. 
To enter the complete information for your spouse, go to the left side of the Interview section and click on
“Spouse-Interview type” and select “Complete information (recommended)”.
Unfortunately you will have to enter your spouse’s information again.