Jump to content

Change of Use Rules when there is loss

Recommended Posts

Hi, I purchased a property in 2022 and lived in it until 2023.  In 2023, I started renting it out.  I'm aware that I'd be subject to the change of use rules.  


The problem is that my ACB of the property (in 2022) is greater than the FMV of the property (in 2023), so I have some losses.  Based on my understanding, this loss would be nil because the property was a personal-use property.  Is this correct?  I would like to claim this loss if possible. 



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello jameskangsj,


Selling Your Property (House Or Residential Complex) :
If you sell your house or residential complex, you generally have to report a capital gain or loss on the sale.
In general, half (50%) of a capital gain on the sale of your house is taxable. However, a capital loss is not deductible.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...