Français

Claiming a child as a dependant

Hello,

I've noticed the program did not claim my child as a dependant for a tax credit. My child was 16 in 2023, a full-time student in high-school and earned income under 15,000$ with a part time job. Why is the program not calculating my child as a dependant? How can I make it add the credit?

Appreciate any help on this.

Hello Tayna,

Line 30400 – Amounts for an eligible dependant
Can you claim an amount for an eligible dependant?

Answer these 2 questions to find out if you can claim the amount for an eligible dependant.

Claim this amount if, at any time in the year, you supported an eligible dependant and their net income from line 23600 of their return (or the amount that it would be if they filed a return) was less than your basic personal amount (plus $2,499 if they were dependent on you because of an impairment in physical or mental functions).

If you did not claim an amount on line 30300 of your return, you may be able to claim this amount for one dependant if, at any time in the year, you met all the following conditions:

You did not have a spouse or common-law partner or, if you did, you were not living with them, supporting them or being supported by them
    You supported the dependant in 2023
    You lived with the dependant (in most cases in Canada) in a home you maintained. You cannot claim this amount for a person who was only visiting you

In addition, the dependant must also be one of the following persons by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption:

your parent or grandparent
    your child, grandchild, brother, or sister under 18 years of age 
    your child, grandchild, brother, or sister 18 years of age or older with an impairment in physical or mental functions

Hi!

The eligible dependant's income on line 23600 is less than my basic personal amount.

I did not claim an amount on line 30300, however, I do have a spouse.

I have a second child, younger, with $0 income. This child was added by the program for the dependant credit (even though nothing is claimed on line 30300 and I have a spouse). Why is the program not adding my older dependant (16 years old) for this credit?  Is the credit amount the same for two children as it is for one?

Thanks again,

Hello Tayna,

If you did not claim an amount on line 30300 of your return, you may be able to claim this amount for one dependant if, at any time in the year, you met all the following conditions:

You did not have a spouse or common-law partner