Français

In ufile, in my tax return, how do I claim disability tax credit for my elderly mother?

Arun

Hello there,

In ufile, in my tax return, how do I claim disability tax credit as my dependent for my elderly mother?

My mother has authorized me to claim it to CRA.

Where do I go in my ufile account?

Thanks

Arun

I called CRA. They told me to use line 31800 and 58440, and for my mother to use 31600.

I cannot find those line numbers in ufile in either of our returns.

Mentioning of line numbers in the software will be helpful.

Thanks

Arun

Hello Arun,

To claim the amount for a disabled person who is your dependant, you should specify the disability of that person in the dependant's file. To do so, follow the steps below:

1- On the "Left side menu on the Interview tab" of the dependant's file select "Medical and disability".

2- On the screen to your right, click on the plus sign "+" icon located on the right of the line "Infirmity and disability for the dependant".

3- On the page "Dependant's infirmity and disability", enter the relevant information.

4- You must indicate if the person is claiming the disability amount on line "Is the dependant's eligible for the disability amount on federal line 31600?".

5- On the line "Does the dependant's infirmity provide entitlement to Canada caregiver amount?". An answer is required to this question.

6- For Residents of Quebec, you must answer the 3 questions that are in the Quebec section. The third question relates to question 46 on form TP-752.0.14, which determines whether the person needs assistance with a common daily activity.

7- Return to the "Medical and disability" section and on the screen to your right click on the plus sign "+" icon located on the right side of the line "Canada caregiver amount to claim for this dependant (line 30450) / Quebec Schedule H - Eligibility and dates of qualifying period for this dependant (Quebec line 462)"and enter the relevant information.

Schedule 5 will be generated by the program in the family head's file, and the non-refundable credit for caregivers will be reported on line 30450 or 30500 of step 5 of the federal return. As for the non-refundable credit for people with disabilities transferred from a dependent, it will be reported on line 31800 of step 5 of the federal return.

For Quebec residents, if you wish to claim the caregiver amount, follow these steps:

1- On the "Left side menu on the Interview tab" of the family head's file, select "Quebec tax credits".

2- On the page to your right, scroll down to "Quebec line 462" group, and in the screen to your right choose "Schedule H - Dwelling information for the tax credit for caregiver".

3- In this page, from the drop-down menu, select the option that fits your situation.

The program will generate Quebec Schedule H and will carry over the amount of refundable credit on line 462 of the Quebec return.

Hi Geo123,

Could you help clarify this step? I could not find it.

7- Return to the "Medical and disability" section and on the screen to your right click on the plus sign "+" icon located on the right side of the line "Canada caregiver amount to claim for this dependant (line 30450) /

On the Left side clicking on "Medical, disability, caregiver" shows the "Medical expenses, disability deductions" but does not have that you have stated in Step 7.

Thanks

Hello bengpeng,

image.png

Specify if the client his entitled to the Canada caregiver amount. By default, UFile will consider the person entitled to the Canada caregiver amount when a name or a description of the infirmity is entered.

Canada caregiver amount (CCA):
If you have a dependant with an impairment in physical or mental functions, you may be eligible to claim an additional amount for one or more of the following amounts:

spouse or common-law partner amount (line 30300);
amount for an eligible dependant (line 30400);
amount for children born in 2006 or later (line 30500); and

Hello Geo,

Thank you for your reply. This is very helpful.

A follow-up question.

I am guessing that above steps go in my ufile account with my mother as my dependent.

Now, I have a separate individual ufile account for my mother.

Which account do I use to file my mother's tax return - 1. my ufile account where she is a dependent, or 2. her individual ufile account?

What is the best practice and correct way of doing this?

Thanks

Arun