Français
Due to regular system maintenance the system will not be accessible Saturday, May 4th, 2024 between 4:30 am – 5:30 am EST. ×

Home office expense not computing for percentage

Hi, 

I've enter my home office expense as well as my office usage percentage. However, in the review page, the total home office expenses used to subtract income is the total amount (business and personal), not scaled by percentage. Maybe I missed entering some field, but not sure where. Please advice. Thank you.

1 minute ago, Gary C said:

Similar to other questions that have been asked How/Where to yo enter the percentage of " Hours Worked at Home"  when you only work a portion of the week at home. (i.e 3 days or 21 hours)

So, the total for Line 48 is showing as $169.xx when it should only be $23.xx

Hello Gary C

>> Employment expenses - Employee earning a salary /OR/Commission

>> Home office expenses

Percentage (%) of home being used for personal purposes   90% < = = 10% will be considered for home office expenses

Total home expenses incurred (both business and personal use)

*Heat

*Electricity

*Home Internet access fees

*Insurance premiums (commission employees only)

*Maintenance and repairs

*Property taxes (commission employees only)

*Telephone

*Office rent

*Water

*Taxes

*Other home office expenses – specify

image.png

Total employment-use amount  (see example below)   ( 4 ) $7,000.00 * .10 = $700.00

image.png

>>Employment Expense :

Indicate the percentage (%) Of your home that is used for personal, non-business relate purposes.

= 100 -c

To calculate the percentage of work-space-in-the-home expenses you can deduct, use a reasonable basis, such as the

area of the work space divided by the total finished area (including hallways, bathrooms, kitchens, etc.).

If you are working in a designated room

Since the room is used only for work, the percentage Of your home used as a work space is also the percentage Of your

work space used for employment purposes.

A = Size of work space (designated room or shared area)

B = Total finished area of home

C = Percentage of your home that you used as a work space (rounded two decimal places)

C AE x 100

If you are working in a common (shared) area

You need to calculate the percentage of the work space that was used for employment purposes by providing the

numbers of hours worked in that space within a calendar week (7 days or 168 hours).

D = Number of hours (hours worked in a work week)

E = 168 hours

F=D/E

C = Percentage of your home that you used as a work space (rounded two decimal places)

C = A/B x F x 100

Confusing....why doesn't the UFile software do the calculations similar to CRA.   Let us users type in the values of 

A = Size of work space (designated room or shared area)

B = Total finished area of home

and

= Number of hours (hours worked in a work week)

E = 168 hours

and let the software do the calculations.