Jump to content

1042-S reporting


Recommended Posts


I got a 1042-S from the USA IRS. I am not a US resident.  It's a very small amount from a dividend and I'm trying to claim it. (attached)



I used foreign income - Dividend and completed the following.

Exemption code 15 is Chapter 4 -  15 Payee not subject to chapter 4 withholding

For the income exempted under a tax treaty, what would I enter? (57.32 or 17.20?)



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Wcao,

*Country from where you received the foreign income
If the country signed a tax treaty with Canada, a deduction under 20(11) will not be allowed.
[United States (tax treaty with Canada)]
*Description of the source of the foreign income  [1099-DIV or 1042-S]
If you are entering amounts in Canadian dollars, enter 1 for the exchange rate. The average exchange rate for $US was 1.3497 in 2023. See the Bank of Canada's website (www.bankofcanada.ca) for other exchange rates.

*Exchange rate to apply [1.3497]
 *Amount of foreign income received  $amount
 *Amount of foreign tax paid  <- - -  - please verify with CRA if eligible


Link to comment
Share on other sites

For people also with a 1042-s

Just called CRA (waited 2 hours...) so not worth that credit...

For Dividend under the treaty, the tax is 15% unless you own 10% of the voting shares. anything above and beyond will be a credit.

In my case.

.15% * 57.32 = 8.60.

17.20 - 8.60 = 8.60



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...