Français
Due to regular system maintenance the system will not be accessible Saturday, May 4th, 2024 between 4:30 am – 5:30 am EST. ×

Tax treaty between Canada and France

Hello,

I emigrated to France from Canada February 2023.

I'm filing my taxes as a non-resident of Canada for the first time.

On the uFile platform what do I enter under "Foreign tax treaty - Amount of Foreign Tax Treaty?"

Thank you!

Thank you very much for your reply. Am I only eligible if I have a business in France? I don't have my own business as I work for a university.

I would love some advice on navigating this. I made $12,000 on my Canadian T4 before leaving Canada and around 60,000 CAD in employment income in France since leaving. From what I can tell I shouldn't be taxed twice on my French income but will lose my tax credits on the $12,000CAD on my T4?

When I do the calculations I'm looking at a pretty big payment to the CRA considering I didn't make that much in Canada

Thank you!

My daughter is in a similar situation; non-resident Canadian living in France. She files a non-resident federal return by mail, and pays the 48% surtax on Canadian sourced income. This income is not taxed on the French income tax return  by reporting it in section 1.1 (Salaries) box 1AF (foreign income taxed in another country), this amount is repeated in section 8 (income tax withheld at source) box 8TK, which indicates that the entire amount reported in 1AF was taxed in the foreign country. Note that the amount of tax paid in Canada is not reported anywhere. Hope this helps!