Français

Combining net incomes when claiming moving expenses

We qualify for moving expenses deduction because we moved closer to my husband's work. I called CRA to see if I could claim again my income as well as I also switched jobs after the move. CRA said yes I can. My question is how to do this in Ufile. I don't want to duplicate deductions by making entering all the moving expenses under both of our files. Currently I just have the moving expenses claimed under my husband's. So where I have to enter the net income earned after moving, can I combine both of our incomes under my husband's file? Trying to keep things as simple as possible and avoid duplicate deductions. Thanks!

Hello Glaurica,

If you are both claiming the moving you will need to enter the deduction in each of your files and calculate / allocate the moving expenses for each of you, with the relevant income information.  Do not duplicate the entries in each file.

is there an easy way to do this? for rsp contributions ufile maximizes who it should go to. it sounds like your saying i have to go back and forth and try different expenses with each person and keep track of what gets us the most refund

sorry that doesn't make sense. we have a shared bank account so all the expenses would be shared. we moved together so it still sounds like i just experiment assigning the expenses to see back and forth to see how to use the deductions most effectively?

Again, not helpful. This is a question about how I input info into ufile. I already talked to CRA about the tax law. Anyways, I figured it out myself. For anyone else who has this question, you have to input the info into each spouse's file. You can't combine incomes under one spouse. Just make sure you don't duplicate deductions. For example, I put all the lawyer fees under me, and I put the moving/storage expenses under my husband. (I split the realestate agent fee in half as it was a large amount)As everything had already been entered under my husband, I just used the cut and paste to move it from his to mine. I kept checking the results page after each adjustment, and then stopped once our refund was as high as it was going to go. It took a bit of time, but we are getting a much bigger refund then I expected, so well worth the effort!