Français

T3 Bug

I am prepare a return for my mother in law and and father in law. I am entering the T3 slip for my mother in law (individual account). All other boxes shows on my mother in law's T1. But the dividend amount from box 49 goes to my father in law. How to fix this bug?

Hello Elaine Wonder,

The transfer of the dividend works as follows. Where a lower-income spouse receives a dividend and cannot fully use the dividend tax credit, the spouses can make an election to have the dividend included in the other (higher-income) spouse’s income. However, the election can be made only if including the dividend in the other spouse’s income either creates or increases the spousal tax credit that the other spouse may claim.

In some cases, it may be better for you to report all of the taxable dividends that your spouse or common-law partner received from taxable Canadian corporations. You can do this only if it allows you to claim, or increase your claim, for the spouse or common-law partner amount on line 30300 of your return. If you choose this option, do not include these dividends in your spouse's or common-law partner's income.
You may be able to claim a dividend tax credit on line 40425 for dividends that you received from taxable Canadian corporations.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/personal-income/line-12000-taxable-amount-dividends-eligible-other-than-eligible-taxable-canadian-corporations.html