Français

can't efile as ei overpayment claim has expired?

Hi, I am a cvitp volunteer and am doing back taxes for someone.  I got their slips through autofile and I could not efile because the ei overpayment claim has expired (more than 4 years back).  Is there something I can adjust in the t4 forms or elsewhere to enable me to efile?  Thanks, Yasmine

Hello yasdaz,

The CRA has rejected the EI overpayment.
Under the Employment Insurance Act, you must ask for a refund of your EI overpayment no later than three years from the end of the year the overpayment occurred in.

Try removing the entry for T4  box 18  , otherwise you should mail the tax return

---------------------------------  
Line 4500 = NULL <---NO EI overpayment claimed / past 3 year limit

Request for refund of EI contributions
Under the Employment Insurance Act, you must ask for a refund of your EI overpayment no later than three years from the end of the year the overpayment occurred in.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-31200-employment-insurance-premiums-through-employment.html