Jump to content

Spouses living in different provinces


Recommended Posts

Hi there, 


My wife moved to QC from ON last year, for a new job. She's currently living there, resided on last day of December in QC. I have the following questions, and would greatly appreciate if anyone who could shed some lights


- Do we need to file separately, and in terms of logistics, should we create two account in UFile, one for each of us?


- She went to school in QC few years ago and also filed tax once there. If she has any remaining tax credit, can it be recovered and put to use?


Thank you, 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. You don't have to file separately but you need to indicate the appropriate province of residence for each of you. Also, you should consult the following instructions:


Resident from another province working in Quebec 


If you worked in Quebec in the current taxation year, but resided in another province (e. g. in Ontario), you should have received two tax slips: a federal T4 slip and a Quebec RL-1 slip.

 In order to enter the information found on these slips using the program, please follow these steps:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", click on the line "T4 and employment income" and, on the screen located on the right-hand side, first select "T4 and RL-1 (Relevé 1) income earned in Quebec".
2- Enter the information from the T4 and the RL-1 slip and, from the drop-down menu of box 10, select the province of employment;
3 - If you have an amount in box J of the RL-1, ignored because this amount shall be taxable only resident of Quebec, as it is called with medical expenses. While for residents of other Provinces / Territories that amount cannot be claimed as a medical expense because the premium has been paid by the employer;
4- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and select "Ontario tax and credits" (or from any other province of residence as appropriate) and enter the required information, if applicable.

By clicking on the "Results" tab, you'll notice on line 437 of the federal return that the amount of total income tax deducted corresponds to the box 22 of the T4 and box E of the RL-1 slip.

Also in the "Result" tab if you have the following "Warning", "The pensionable earnings entered for a T4 exceed the amount of T4 income". Please ignore this warning.


2. She should be able to use her unused tuition fees. I recommend verifying with Revenu Québec:



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...