Français

T4 With Empty Box 16 - Employee's CPP Contributions

AOB8

My wife did some work for a private company - separate from her regular (full time) employer. The company issued her a T4 slip. The income on the slip is $214.97. Box 16 Employee's CPP Contributions is blank.

UFile is telling me she has employment income but not exempt from paying CPP contributions. How do I correct this if that information is not provided?

Thanks for the quick response. However, Box 26 - CPP Pensionable earnings is filled out with $214.97 on the T4. UFile states the discrepancy and ignores the amount for CPP Pensionable earnings.

I just want to make sure I should put that amount as exempt. I know it's difficult to answer these types of questions without seeing all of the information.

• 8 years later...

I am having the same problem ufile cannot calculate my tax return due to this error 

You have employment income and are not exempt from paying CPP/QPP contributions. You should normally enter your CPP contributions (Box 16) or QPP contributions (box 17)in your T4 slip.”

I tried to put exempted in box 28 but still getting error.

Box 16 is empty.

Until now I can’t file my tax return

HelloCitizen001, 

T4 slip - Box 28 - Exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP)
If the mention "Exempt CPP/QPP", "Exempt EI", or "Exempt PPIP" is displayed in box 28 of your T4 slip, simply select the item "T4 and employment income" from the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", and in the page "T4 slip income", for "Box 28 - exempt (CPP/QPP, EI, PPIP)", choose the appropriate exemption in the drop-down menu located to your right.  

If you need to enter another exemption, click on the "+" sign located on the far right of the screen to add another box 28.