Français

Medical Expenses

TH2017

Hello,

I have entered in all my medical expenses for the past year and I don't see any change on my return.  These expenses are over the 3% of net income minimum requirement.  Yet if I just enter in the full amount I do see a higher return figure.  What gives?

Thank you.

Hi,

In the program, medical expenses must be claimed in the file of the person who incurred the expenses.

To do so, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Medical, disability, caregiver".

2- On the page to the right, choose "Medical expenses" and enter the amount of medical expenses that have not been reimbursed by a drug insurance plan. You have two options, you can:

a) Enter the amounts one by one. On your right, click on the "+" sign. That allows you to add additional lines.

b) Enter only the total amount on one line and add a note referring to a list of the fees.

3- In the first field, provide a brief description of the fees.

4- In the field with a dollar sign, enter the amount not covered by your drug insurance plan.

5- To view the details of the medical expenses, click on the "Tax return" tab and in the left section, choose the line "Medical expenses (Federal)" and, if you are a resident of Quebec, the line "Medical expenses (Quebec)".

For more information on medical expenses, visit the following links:

For the CRA:

http://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/lines-330-331-eligible-medical-expenses-you-claim-on-your-tax-return.html

For Revenu Québec:

http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoyen/declaration/produire/comment/aideligne/ligne381.aspx 

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2020 at 9:42 AM, Nawal said:

Hi JHM, You can claim only eligible medical expenses on your tax return if you, or your spouse or common-law partner paid for the medical expenses in any 12-month period ending in 2019 and/or did not claim them in 2018.

If the medical expenses were not claimed but paid in 2018, how can they be claimed in 2019?

After reading your posts, I got it to work by changing the order of the dates.  Instead of showing 12 months starting in 2018 going into 2019, I show it as 12 months going backwards from 2019 into 2018.  It looks like the program will only work if you have 2019 as the date you enter first, and not 2018, even though CRA allows 2018 within a 12 month period.  Kind of weird to send it in this way, but at least it's reflecting the medical expenses now.

• 1 year later...

Hi LAM.

You enter them on the lines you would enter drug, dental and other costs. You should describe the reason for travel and include the distance (both ways) and use the rate for your region. Then input the amount calculated. Do the same for meal costs (simplified method) if you were away far and long enough as well as meals if you had to be accompanied by a driver.

Under 40 km one way is not claimable. 40km and over one is claimable but make sure the service was not available closer.

CRA will frequently ask for a letter from the hospital, doctor of the dates of appointments should they do a review.

For prescriptions you should ask the pharmacy for an annual summary and enter from there. You could also make a list, add them up and enter the total.

Here a link to medical expenses.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/lines-33099-33199-eligible-medical-expenses-you-claim-on-your-tax-return/details-medical-expenses.html

Archived