Jump to content

Claiming carry forward capital loss


Recommended Posts

I have been unable to find where I enter the amount of capital gains losses carried forward to use against a capital gain on 2018 return. Research suggests I have to check "Other Options" in the Interview set up panel to access the right form, but "Other Options" does not open in my file. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a response from UFILE support which has solved the problem:


RE: Line 253 - Net capital losses of other years - First time entry

If you have net capital gains for the current tax year and would like to utilize net capital losses of prior years to offset the net capital gains, please follow the steps below:

(Available capital losses are shown on the CRA's Notice of Assessment or Notice of Reassessment for the previous taxation year.)

1- In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2 - On the right-hand side of the screen. Go to the "Carryforward amounts and prior year information" group, check the box for "Losses of prior years, carrybacks" and then click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3- Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Losses of prior years and carrybacks".

4- On the new page, chose the option "Net capital losses of other years".

5- Enter your net capital losses of prior years.

6- If you wish to limit the amount of capital losses applied to the current year, enter the amount on the last line at the bottom of the page.

The program will report the net capital loss on line 253 of your federal return and on line 290 of the Quebec return. To see the details of the application of net capital losses, click on the "Tax return" tab and select federal form "Net Capital Losses of Other Years" and, if applicable, Quebec form TP-729 "Carry-Forward of Net capital Losses".


Our customer support telephone service is available Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 9:00 pm EST. On weekends, our offices are open as well, but only for email support.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
19 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

You can put the total in, that's the way it's done.

Because taxes are not my things... wanted to be super clear... I see items in some of the other years... but some must be missing because they don't total to the amount in the Notice of Assesment (NOA).  In that case I can clear all the row and put the total unused losses (from NOA) in the most recent year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...