Français

UFile 2019 - Override for lines 30300 and 32600 - Help!

troy_ramos

I am preparing the return for my parents with my mom as the primary and my dad as her spouse. They are both over 65 years old.  My dad died last December.  My problem is that UFile is calculating the amounts for lines 30300 and 32600. I want to stop UFile from doing this. Is there an override for this?  If not, is there a workaround (perhaps I've set them up wrong?)

The reason why I want to stop UFile from calculating the amounts on lines 30300 and 32600 of my mom's tax return, is because I am claiming my dad's disability amount transfer on line 31800 of my tax return.  According to the CRA tax guide, no one else can claim the DTC transferrable from a dependant on line 31800 of his tax return if the PWD's spouse claimed the spousal transfer amounts on line 30300 and 32600 of her tax return.

I have sent this problem to the UFile Windows Helpdesk along with copies of my parents' tax files. Do you guys want to know the "solution" they came up with?  Well, Siti (the support person who responded to me) essentially told me that the reason an amount is showing up on line 32600 was because there are amounts on line 35200 (age amount transferred from spouse) and line 35500 (pension amount transferred from spouse).  Then she told me that UFile automatically calculates lines 30300 and 32600 for spouses.  Then she told me that they are not a tax advisory service, and I should seek the advise of a tax professional.

Huh? What the heck was that? Siti, your advise was not helpful at all. I could easily get that same advise you gave me from some random stranger off the street. But that's all right, since you seem to be ignoring my e-mails now.

I am not asking for tax advise. What I need is help to override lines 30300 and 32600 on UFile, or a workaround so UFile will not calculate them.

Is there an actual professional support staff from UFile who could help me???  Or do I need to inform the technical officers at CRA who tests and approves tax software about this problem with UFile?

Is there anybody on this forum with the same problem and found the solution?  Please help me...

55 minutes ago, troy_ramos said:

I am preparing the return for my parents with my mom as the primary and my dad as her spouse. They are both over 65 years old.  My dad died last December.  My problem is that UFile is calculating the amounts for lines 30300 and 32600. I want to stop UFile from doing this. Is there an override for this?  If not, is there a workaround (perhaps I've set them up wrong?)

The reason why I want to stop UFile from calculating the amounts on lines 30300 and 32600 of my mom's tax return, is because I am claiming my dad's disability amount transfer on line 31800 of my tax return.  According to the CRA tax guide, no one else can claim the DTC transferrable from a dependant on line 31800 of his tax return if the PWD's spouse claimed the spousal transfer amounts on line 30300 and 32600 of her tax return.

In the controls section:

image.png.ec9cc24f6e0f8a89263e3c262a8a5fe3.png

With regards to the DTC transfer, in the Disability section, select "Do not Claim". DTC transfers are not reported on the transferer's return; it is reported on the transferee's return. The net effect below will have the result you need.

image.png.c3d388300176b7495ecdd54d9fdad6d0.png

On another note, I am quite impressed that you are aware of the claim rules. Most people actually end up claiming these amounts incorrectly. Your analysis is correct.

Hello,

Thank you for your help.

Your suggestion to suppress calculation of line 30300 on my mom's tax return worked.

Your suggestion to suppress calculation of line 31800 on my mom's tax return worked.

Is there a way to suppress calculation of line 32600 on my mom's tax return?  This will probably involve suppressing the calculation of line 35200 (age amount transferred from spouse) and line 35500 (pension amount transferred from spouse).

---Troy

I

23 hours ago, troy_ramos said:

I have sent this problem to the UFile Windows Helpdesk along with copies of my parents' tax files. Do you guys want to know the "solution" they came up with?  Well, Siti (the support person who responded to me) essentially told me that the reason an amount is showing up on line 32600 was because there are amounts on line 35200 (age amount transferred from spouse) and line 35500 (pension amount transferred from spouse).  Then she told me that UFile automatically calculates lines 30300 and 32600 for spouses.  Then she told me that they are not a tax advisory service, and I should seek the advise of a tax professional.

Can I ask why are we attempting to suppress these lines? The answer to your question is that we can do a "Net Income only" return for the spouse. Then you would specify that the husband would not be claiming Schedule 2 Transfers. See the picture below:

image.png.3a5e713042e272197df382f08bc9b0f8.png

On the next page, you will see at the end of the page an option to claim Schedule 2 Transfers. The default is "no". However, I suggest that the S2 transfers (excluding Spousal amount, caregiver amount and Disability amount) still be claimed, unless there is a good reason not to claim them.

Hi Winston,

Thank you for your quick response.

First, my father died last December, so I set up my mother as the primary taxpayer and my father as the spouse (I don't know if those are the correct terms). Does the solution in your last post pertain to my mother's tax return or father's?

Second, in regard to your question why I want to suppress the UFile calculation of lines 30300 & 32600 on my mother's tax return, the short answer is because I am going to claim my father's disability transfer amount on line 31800 of my tax return.

The long answer to your question can be read on this webpage: 

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-31800-disability-amount-transferred-a-dependant.html

And I quote (and please pay attention to the 3rd paragraph):

"How do you claim for your dependant?

If your dependant was under 18 years of age at the end of the year, first complete the chart for line 31600 on the worksheet for the return in the income tax package to calculate the supplement that dependant may be able to claim.

Then, complete the chart for line 31800 on the worksheet for the return in the income tax package to calculate your claim for each dependant.

You cannot claim the unused part of this amount if the spouse or common-law partner of the person with a disability is already claiming the disability amount or any other non-refundable tax credit (other than medical expenses) for this person."

And as you know, lines 30300 & 32600 are non-refundable tax credit.  How do I know this?  I learned this from experience, when CRA first denied my claim for my father's DTC transfer amount, they included the reason why (which is the information I just gave above).

Anyway, to go back to my question, does your last post pertain to my mother's tax return?

Thanks,

Troy

Thank you for correcting my incorrect assumption regarding the claims of non-refundable tax credits. I incorrectly assumed that Schedule 2 transfers would still be allowed except the spousal (equivalent to dependent) tax credit. Now I understand why you are trying to do what you did.

If your mom or dad (works for both - see * below) is set up as the family head, then see the following screenshot below*:

-removed screenshot due to attachment size limitations-

*This method only works if you process each parent as a separate file; i.e. Taxfilemom.u19 and TaxfileDad.u19 - the forced separation is to prevent automated transfers. I don't like this method compared to the other option below. You may have no choice though. Each parent becomes a family head with their tax profiles processed independently.

However, I think I have a more feasible solution for you (untested, works if you forego pension splitting I think):

1. Add parents as dependents to your tax file, with yourself as the "Family head".

2. Add the t-slip info /run auto fill my return as usual.

This solution takes advantage of a couple of things: 

1. No automated schedule 2 transfers as parents are "dependents" for tax purposes - schedule 2 transfers won't exist for "dependents"

2. This allows the automatic calculation of the DTC transfer to yourself

3. There might be some other limitations; in particular, pension splitting. 

The scenario where you might have trouble is if you want to do pension splitting but can't override the automatic Age Amount /Pension Income Amount S2 Transfers...I could not find a solution for this. This seems to be a limitation associated with the software. I hope this isn't the situation you are in. You could still submit a return and let CRA reassess it though, just adjust the split pension amounts to reflect the fact that these S2 transfers will not be available. That, to me though is a bit risque though..

Hi Winston,

I'm afraid that'd be the only solution for my situation:

1) Create a UFile with me as head of family with my dad as my dependant in order to claim the DTC transfer amount and the Canada caregiver amount.

2) Send my tax return thru NetFile

3) Print out my dad's final tax return and mail it to CRA.

4) Create a separate UFile with my mom as head of family with my dad as her dependant in order for her to claim CAI, primary caregiver amount, split-pension income, MB479 and MB428 credits.

5) Print out my mom's tax return, remove Schedule 2 and S2, and recalculate Schedule 1 without lines 30300 and 32600, then mail it to CRA.

Thanks,

Troy

Archived