Jump to content

Where to input Bursaries and Grants on Ufile Tax program for full time students


Recommended Posts

Hello @DomL,

A bursary or scholarship is generally reported on a T4A slip with an entry in Box 28.

To enter a bursary or scholarship, please go in the Interview setup, section "Pension income, T4A, split income", option "T4A-pension, retirement, annuity, and other income". For the Box 28-other income, please select the option "Scholarships (study groups), bursaries or fellowships (code 105)" and then enter the scholarship amount.

Note that scholarships and bursaries are generally NOT taxable on the federal return.

If you are NOT entitled to education amounts in respect of these amounts, the part of the post-secondary scholarships, fellowships or bursaries you received in the year that is more than $500 will appear on line 130 of the federal return.

Moreover, for Quebec residents, the scholarship income is reported at line 154- "Other Income", and a credit is given at line 295- "Deduction respecting certain income".

Thank you,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Hello pele,

To enter an amount of a bursary or scholarship shown in Box 105 of a T4A slip, or for Quebec residents, in box O code RB of an RL-1 slip, please follow these steps:

1 - On the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2 - On the page to the right, go to the group "Pension", check the box "Pension income, other income and split pension (T4A, T4A(OAS), T4A(P), T4A-RCA, T4RSP, T4RIF, T1032)" then click on "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3 - Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Pension income, T4A" and on the screen to the right, click on the plus "+" symbol next to the line "T4A - Pension, retirement, annuity, and other income".

4 - On the page that appears, go to the line "Other information (click on the triangle to scroll the list of choices)" in the middle of the page, you must choose one of two (2) options, For the full-time program, select the option "(105)) Scholarships, Maintenance or Perfection (Box O RB Code)", if your program is part-time choose the option "(105) Scholarships". prog. part-time (box O code RB)"in the drop-down menu and in the field to your right enter the amount.

5 - NOTE - If you have received a scholarship for a part-time program, go to "Tuition, education, texts books, student loans" on the page that appears, click on the sign icon plus "+" located to the right of the line "Part-time program details if you received scholarship, fellowship and bursary income to be included at line 13010".

6 - Enter the name of the program and on the second line "Tuition fees and costs of part-time education program-related material paid for current year". This amount will be used to deduct part, or all the scholarship related to a part-time study program;

7 - For Quebec residents, if the amount in Box O of the RL-1 differs from the one shown on the T4A slip, click on the "Maple Leaf" icon to the right of the field. Another field will appear and enter the amount shown in Box O of your RL-1. This box will only be displayed if you have previously entered the federal amount or $0,00 if you have not received a T4A slip.

The amount will be transferred by the program to line 13010 of the federal return and line 154 of the Quebec return, and Code 01 will be entered on Quebec line 153 (if applicable).

However, if you are enrolled in full-time postsecondary studies, no amount will be entered on line 13010 of the federal return.

For part-time students, an amount could be reported on line 13010 of the federal return. It will be the amount of the scholarship minus the $500 basic exemption + the amount you entered at point 6.

For residents of Quebec, there is no impact, an amount will appear on line 295 of the Quebec return to reduce the amount on line 154.

For more information, please consult the following links;

For the CRA:


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...