Français

Claiming Tool Expenses

bevinb

I am doing taxes for my son, an apprentice plumber  He can claim tools he buys for his work. 

I did this last year, no issues.

For 2022 I have all the info entered but nothing appears on the tax return: line 1770 on the T777 is blank....

I looked at my entries on Ufile 2021, I can see no difference.  What am I missing????

thanks for any help!

Hello bevinb,

If you are a tradesperson and wish to enter your eligible employment expenses regarding the purchase of tools, please follow the steps below:
1. On the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".
2.  On the page on your right, go to the "Employment and other benefits" group, check the box for "Employment expenses" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.
3. Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab" and select the "Employment expenses".
4.  On the screen to the right, click on the plus sign "+" icon to the right of the line "Eligible employment expenses for a tradesperson", and click on ''Next'' at the bottom of the page.
5. On the page that is generated, entitled "Eligible employment expenses for a tradesperson" and enter the relevant information, and click "Next".
6. On the newly created page entitled "Tradesperson - eligible tools", click on the plus sign icon "+" and at the bottom of the line entitled "Tradesperson Tools Expenses (for tool purchase by employees)", enter the information on the tool you acquired in the tax year.
7. If you wish to add other tools, return to the page "Tradesperson - Eligible Tools" and repeat the procedure.
8. The employer must complete Federal Form "T2200 - Declaration of Conditions of Employment", as well as Quebec form "TP-75.2-V Employment Expenses of Salaried Tradespeople".
9. Depending of form(s) complete you should complete these form "Employment conditions" and for Quebec residents "Employment conditions - Quebec".
Keep the original forms completed by the employer as well as the receipts for tools acquired in the year in order to provide them upon request to the CRA or to Revenu Québec.
For more information on eligible amounts and conditions that govern trades people employment expenses, consult the following links:
For the CRA:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4044.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-229-other-employment-expenses.html
For Revenu Québec:
https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/online-services/forms-and-publications/current-details/in-118-v/
The eligible amount will be entered on line 22900 of the Federal return and line 207 of the Quebec return.
The program will generate Federal Form T777 and Quebec form TP-75.2.