Français

19years old son income tax

Sarahlee

My son is 19 years old. He is a full time college student and has part time job. Until last year, when I reported an incoming tax, all my family members reported it with one Ufile program, but this year, should my son report it with another Ufile program or can all my family report it together using one program?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 7:23 AM, Sarahlee said:

My son is 19 years old. He is a full time college student and has part time job. Until last year, when I reported an incoming tax, all my family members reported it with one Ufile program, but this year, should my son report it with another Ufile program or can all my family report it together using one program?

I think you mean with 'a separate UFile file', not program. The standard UFile program is good for 4 tax returns, e.g. you and your spouse as a 'family', your favourite uncle in a new file, and separately for your son as yet another file (or as a dependent in the 'family' file as Nawal suggested if you want to transfer credits.

The difference is a 'family' file ties the returns together for credits, while separate files are for arms length returns of other individuals.

18 hours ago, AltaRed said:

I think you mean with 'a separate UFile file', not program. The standard UFile program is good for 4 tax returns, e.g. you and your spouse as a 'family', your favourite uncle in a new file, and separately for your son as yet another file (or as a dependent in the 'family' file as Nawal suggested if you want to transfer credits.

The difference is a 'family' file ties the returns together for credits, while separate files are for arms length returns of other individuals.

That's right.

I downloaded 'Standard UFile Program'. What you're saying is,
You mean I can use tax returns for my husband, my 19-year-old son, my 16-year-old son, and me.

I want to transfer my son's credits to my husband.

I tried to enter my son's T2022 yesterday, but I couldn't find the student item on my son's tab. But I found the student item on my husband's tab. How should I enter my son's T2202? 

Thank you in advance.

Archived