Français

Medical School Student Travelling or Hotel Lodging Expenses

Siward

Hi Ufile,

I am filing a tax return for a medical school student.  I am looking at the below article:

https://mdtax.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/MD-TAX-medical-residents-newsletter-2021.pdf

I have hotel and travel expense receipts related to a medical student going out of town to conferences and course electives.  Where do I claim out-of-town medical student expenses in UFile Windows?

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2021 at 3:11 AM, Siward said:

Hi Ufile,

I am filing a tax return for a medical school student.  I am looking at the below article:

https://mdtax.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/MD-TAX-medical-residents-newsletter-2021.pdf

I have hotel and travel expense receipts related to a medical student going out of town to conferences and course electives.  Where do I claim out-of-town medical student expenses in UFile Windows?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       and last year he went to Cyprus on vacation. Then I got a job in an IT company. I was already ready to submit a tax return, but it was explained to me that it is not necessary to do so in Greece. After a year working in Cyprus, I returned to Canada  international air consolidators because the company I worked for was closed due to the pandemic

I would be interested to know your travel and accommodation expenses

Hello yoyoto,

As per the CRA you can not claim board and lodging, you can contact the CRA to confirm this.

Amounts  which cannot be claimed as tuition fees

You cannot claim the following tuition fees:

• fees paid or reimbursed by your employer, or an employer of one of your parents, where the amount is not included in your or your parent's income
  • fees paid by federal, provincial, or territorial job training program, where the amount is not included in your income
  • fees paid (or eligible to be paid) under a federal program to help athletes, where the payment or reimbursement has not been included in your income

Eligible tuition fees do not include the following amounts:

• extracurricular student social activities
  • medical expenses
  • transportation and parking
  • board and lodging
  • goods of enduring value that are to be retained by students (such as a microscope, uniform, gown, or computer)
  • initiation fees or entrance fees to professional organizations including examination fees or other fees (such as evaluation fees) that are not integral to a program of study at an eligible educational institution
  • administrative penalties incurred when a student withdraws from a program or an institution
  • the cost of books (other than books, compact disks or similar material included in the cost of a correspondence course when the student is enrolled in such a course given by an eligible educational institution in Canada)
  • courses taken for purposes of academic upgrading to allow entry into a university or college program. These courses would usually not qualify for the tuition tax credit as they are not considered to be at the post secondary school level
Certain ancillary fees and charges, such as health services fees and athletic fees, may also be eligible tuition fees. However, such fees and charges are limited to $250 unless the fees are required to be paid by all full time students or by all part time students. Contact the Canada Revenue Agency if you are not sure if you can claim your fees.

• 1 year later...

It's awesome that you're assisting a medical school student with their tax return. As for claiming out-of-town expenses for conferences and course electives, it's essential to keep track of receipts for hotel and travel expenses.Regarding travel, have you considered exploring business class options for the student's trips? This class can provide added comfort and amenities, which can be particularly beneficial during long journeys to conferences and course electives.I hope this helps with your tax filing process! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Hello borsambeg,

Amounts  which cannot be claimed as tuition fees

You cannot claim the following tuition fees:

• fees paid or reimbursed by your employer, or an employer of one of your parents, where the amount is not included in your or your parent's income
  • fees paid by federal, provincial, or territorial job training program, where the amount is not included in your income
  • fees paid (or eligible to be paid) under a federal program to help athletes, where the payment or reimbursement has not been included in your income

Eligible tuition fees do not include the following amounts:

• extracurricular student social activities
  • medical expenses
  • transportation and parking
  • board and lodging
  • goods of enduring value that are to be retained by students (such as a microscope, uniform, gown, or computer)
  • initiation fees or entrance fees to professional organizations including examination fees or other fees (such as evaluation fees) that are not integral to a program of study at an eligible educational institution
  • administrative penalties incurred when a student withdraws from a program or an institution
  • the cost of books (other than books, compact disks or similar material included in the cost of a correspondence course when the student is enrolled in such a course given by an eligible educational institution in Canada)
  • courses taken for purposes of academic upgrading to allow entry into a university or college program. These courses would usually not qualify for the tuition tax credit as they are not considered to be at the post secondary school level
Certain ancillary fees and charges, such as health services fees and athletic fees, may also be eligible tuition fees. However, such fees and charges are limited to $250 unless the fees are required to be paid by all full time students or by all part time students. Contact the Canada Revenue Agency if you are not sure if you can claim your fees.