Français

Unable to connect with CRA server

RCEME19792015

I cannot connect to the CRA server through ufile netfile.  It simply says 'error connecting to CRA server'.  But when installing Ufile 2021 in the first place, it came up with an istallation error '1612'.  So I suspect that this installation error is prohibitting UFile 2021 from connecting to the CRA Server to download the tax files.  Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Me too. I am having the same issue, tried several days in a row now.  Could someone from Ufile provide help on this topic? What should be done?

I am developer; I did a test on a clean Windows 10 virtual machine, and it worked fine. So it IS a problem in uFile software - it cannot handle settings in my laptop, but it works fine on the VM.

What's special in my laptop? Nothing. I have tried everything I can think of, but it just didn't work. uFile never executed the browser successfully because I never saw the browser UI.

What I have tried:

1. make sure my Windows 10 Pro has the latest update, ufile has the latest update.

2. Edge is working properly

3. Set Edge as default browser, uninstaller Internet Explorer 11 (both are unnecessary based on the test on my VM, though)

4. removed all other Edge profiles, only leave the default profile, not signed on

5. removed all extensions in Edge

6. Clear ALL cache in Edge

7. Reset Edge settings to default

So my Edge is practically like fresh

8. make sure I don't have VPN, and internet connect is working

* make sure Edge works fine, close and restart ufile app, try again.

* Restart my laptop, and try again.

Nothing works so far.

Edited by Jeffrey 425354
give more details

oh my god. finally fixed it. @ufile team, please send this to your dev team, they may find a fix from code, at least give a meaningful error message and a tip.

cause:

find error message in event log

A fatal error occurred while creating a TLS client credential. The internal error state is 10013.

resolution:

Windows+R, run "inetcpl.cpl"

go to Advanced > Scroll down to Security and note the TLS settings. Make sure check "Use TLS 1.2"

or, for most users, you can simply click "Restore advanced settings".

(see screenshot)

Capture.PNG

• 5 months later...

I tried this fix, but it didn't work for me. Am I to understand that there has been ZERO response from UFile to the people here saying they can't connect to the CRA? I am in an extremely difficult financial situation and I literally had to go without two meals to afford this software. I bought it because I've been using it since 2015 and I thought it would make this stressful chore easier for me. Instead, it's made it more stressful. I would like a refund, as I cannot file my taxes without being able to use Auto-fill.

• 5 months later...

If you cannot download / AFR (AutoFill Return) not responsive. It could be several things:
The government website is very busy - try again later.
If logging in with “Sign-in Partner login” try “CRA sign-in” (using CRA MyAccount).
You should also verify with the CRA if the account log-on is valid. 
• Your antivirus or firewall is preventing the download - temporarily disable to download.
• Could be your Internet Service Provider - then you need to restart the modem (or contact your ISP)
• Check computer time and date and language so the compute can synchronize with the CRA.
• Make sure your account access is up to date.
• If you have Windows 10 or 11, download “Microsoft Edge Webviewer” at the following link (it may not have been bundled in your version): https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?Linkid=2124703
• Use the most recent version of the “Edge” browser.

Check EDGE  browser Settings:
1. Type "Internet options" in the Windows search menu.
2. Click "Internet Options".
3. Click on "Advanced" tab.
4. Scroll to the Security section, then check Use TLS 1.2.
5. Click OK, then close Edge. TLS v1.2 is enabled on the next start of Edge.

Of note can also be effected by : Internet speed, computer memory/speed , network latency, CRA Server loads, anti-virus, firewall and the data within the download file.

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2023 at 2:45 PM, jarrod said:

make sure that the time clock on your computer is set to current time.  Apparently this is a CRA requirement for it to work.

My time was correct, but it still wasn't working. Turns out I refused to allow Windows to know my location when I set up my new laptop and set my timezone MANUALLY.

So I enabled location services then enabled the set time zone AUTOMATICALLY option. That fixed the problem for me.

Hello crow7730,

Thanks for the update.  Regarding location services :

-Enable location services 
   Chrome 
    At the top right, click More. Settings.
    Click Privacy and security. Site Settings.
    Click Location.
    Choose the option you want as your default setting.

Microsoft Edge:
    Go to Start > Settings > Privacy > Location.
    Turn on Allow access to location on this device.
    Turn on Allow apps to access your location.
    Turn on Allow desktop apps to access your location if present.

Safari
Start by clicking the Apple symbol in the upper left-hand corner followed by System Preferences:
Then click Security & Privacy
Then click the Privacy tab
Click on the padlock in the bottom left-hand corner of the window. You will be asked to authenticate by entering your computer ID/password. Once entered, you will then be able to adjust your Location Services by checking the box next to Enable Location Services and ensuring location services are enabled specifically for Safari:
Click the lock again once done.

• 8 months later...

Hello Ashraf,

AFR is currently closed.

The CRA's Auto-fill my return service for the delivery of 2023 tax year data will be available for use as of February 19, 2024.
The NETFILE and ReFILE services are now closed for the electronic filing of your initial and amended T1 personal income tax and benefit return. NETFILE and ReFILE services will re-open on Monday, February 19, 2024, at 6:00 a.m. (Eastern Time).
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/digital-services-individuals/netfile-overview/eligibility.html

On 2/7/2024 at 3:44 AM, Geo123 said:

Hello Ashraf,

AFR is currently closed.

The CRA's Auto-fill my return service for the delivery of 2023 tax year data will be available for use as of February 19, 2024.
The NETFILE and ReFILE services are now closed for the electronic filing of your initial and amended T1 personal income tax and benefit return. NETFILE and ReFILE services will re-open on Monday, February 19, 2024, at 6:00 a.m. (Eastern Time).
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/digital-services-individuals/netfile-overview/eligibility.html

Perhaps adding a date into the "Download my information" tab would be helpful. Not to mention the blurb in the instructions is for 2022/early 2023...not updated for this year?

• 2 months later...

Hello d65pm,

Update UFile
image.png

*Settings (upper right hand corner)
Tax return counter... 
Check for updates...    < = = HERE
Register 
EFILE-NetFiIe setup 
RRSP Calculator 
Retirement Planner
image.png 

[Check for updates]     [x] Check for updates automatically

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've checked my settings as per the info above (ensure using TLS 1.2 and ensure location is ON) but I'm still getting ''Can't connect to the server''.  I've verified that I have the latest version of Ufile.  What else can I look for?   Edge is my default browser.  

Hello Bernie52,

*If you have the message “loading…”on the UFILE screen, have you clicked “Next” on the secondary screen that opens from the CRA – may be hidden behind your active screen.
*Make sure your password and access is up to date with the CRA website.
*Make sure no anti-virus or firewall is preventing download.
*Temporarily disable your VPN (if you have one).
*Make sure your TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 are checked in the security settings of the Control Panel.

OR the CRA Servers are overloaded. Try again at off peak hours.

If the above does not work, enter your information manually.  Please note you can also enter the data manually from the tax slips.  You can access the slips from CRA Myaccount :

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/digital-services-individuals/account-individuals.html

>>Tax Returns

>>Tax Information slips (T4 and more)

>>Select Tax Year

>>Select Tax Slip from drop down

Hello All,
I hope you are well, despite this problem.
I'm using Windows 10. I am using a VPN. Even disconnecting it didn't help. So, further research led me to look into my DNS settings. Sorry, I can't seem to post enough pics here to simplify things.

You can type "settings" in the Windows search bar. That will give you the option to open "Settings."
Choose "Network and Internet." Left hand side choose "Ethernet."
On the right hand side, you should see "Related Settings." Under that, you will have four options. Click "Change adapter options." Right click on "Ethernet" or "Ethernet 2" depending which you have.
Click on "Properties" at the bottom. It should open an "Ethernet Properties" dialog box. Look down the list. Find "Internet Protocol Version 4." Click on it. The box should be checked.
Below that, click the "Properties" tab. Under the "General" tab, you should have "Obtain an IP address automatically." It should be checked/chosen. Below that, you may have "Use the following DNS server addresses" checked. Leave that checked. Take note of the server address in case you want to reset the server address later. It may look like 10. 18. 15. 1 or something similar.
Now, change the "Preferred DNS server:" to 8. 8. 8. 8. Check "Validate settings upon exit." Click "OK." I didn't have to reboot. I'm not sure if you may have to. I re-opened my UFile 2023 and went to the last tab to submit my return. It worked. For me, at least.

The other way to do it i s search for "Control Panel" without the quotes in the Windows search bar. Click the icon. It will open up a dialog with choices.
Click on"Network and Internet." Click on "Network and Sharing Center." To your left, choose "Change adapter settings."
Then, just follow the above instructions. Hope this helps somebody. Sorry for the lack of photos.

Best of luck,
D