Please verify :

(1.) Data entry
(2.) If the donations were carried forward for next year :

Summary of carryforward amounts

(3.) Transferred to your Spouse

Charitable donations (Federal)

Donations claimed in the current year - self

Donations claimed in the current year - spouse

I have a similar problem on my 2022 return. When I try to explain it in the "Support Form" I get error on Submit.

I would greatly appreciate any help on the following:

Ufile reduced my 2022 Donations of $6049 to $745 Why??!!
My donations are way less than the allowable 75% of taxable income.
I have been using Ufile for several years and this never happened before.

The CRA Calculator for Charitable donations
is showing a total of: $2,952 For Fed and BC donations credit.

Would you kindly let me know, why the big reduction? How do I get to force the system to accept my actual donations? I do have about $500 Tax owing.

15 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Ufile will claim donations only to the extent they are needed to reduce taxes payable to zero. The unused amount will be carried forward to next year's return to reduce taxes. This could be happening to you.

Yes, this is true however I do have tax owing of around $500, what gives?!

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Geo123 said:

Hello askari,

The donations likely could not be used and were carried forward. Please check these reports  :

Charitable donations (Federal)

Charitable donations (Quebec)

Hey Geo123

Sorry which reports? Still not clear

I'm doing a simple tax return for a senior.  He has the following income sources for net income and owes taxes. Not sure how donations are not helping here.

T4RIF
T4A(OAS)
T4A(P)

2 hours ago, Geo123 said:

Hello askari,

These reports are found in the Tax Return Tab (Tab 4)

Summary of carryforward amounts  < - - - HERE
T-slips summary p1
T-slips summary p2

thanks.  Yup all the donations are listed on schedule 9 even.  current donations and from the previous years which never got applied.  It looks like the current just gets added to the carried forward amounts and doesn't apply.  

Something doesn't make sense if i have income from oas, cpp and rif and I owe taxes, donations should help bring that value down.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 12:22 PM, askari said:

thanks.  Yup all the donations are listed on schedule 9 even.  current donations and from the previous years which never got applied.  It looks like the current just gets added to the carried forward amounts and doesn't apply.  

Something doesn't make sense if i have income from oas, cpp and rif and I owe taxes, donations should help bring that value down.

I have the same problem.  Doing taxes for a senior and their donations are not being applied to the current year even though he owes money in income tax.  His donations are automatically carried over to next year.  I'd like to apply the taxes this year so he doesn't have to pay taxes.  It seems like whatever amount in donations I enter (eg. $50,000) doesn't make a difference.  It just gets carried over.   Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

• 10 months later...

I have the same issue.  Donations are not being used against my taxes owing.  The reason for this in my case is due to the fact that all amounts donated are considered to be federal donations and as such only come off any federal taxes owing.  If the taxes are owed provincially, you cannot use the donation to reduce your amount owing.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue here. I've been using UFile for over a decade and whenever I claim a Donation for a Senior family member, it gets "carried over" and it never gets applied for the current tax year. Yet they are still owing taxes. I can't seem to force the program to claim the donation for this current year, and I can't seem to find a way to force the program to apply the last 5 years of donations that were never counted and ALWAYS carried over. Is there a way to force the current donation as well as the last 5 years donation to apply to her return this year? 

I DISCUSSED THE ISSUE OF UNDERCLAIMED DONATIONS WITH CRA.  UFILE CLAIMS ONLY THE AMOUNT OF DONATIONS NECESSARY TO REDUCE FEDERAL TAX PAYABLE TO ZERO.  IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO FORCE MORE DONATIONS TO BE APPLIED BY USING " CHANGE MY RETURN " IN YOUR CRA " MY ACCOUNT.  I am testing that approach tomorrow( April 15/24)

On 4/14/2024 at 6:41 AM, CATLOVER said:

I DISCUSSED THE ISSUE OF UNDERCLAIMED DONATIONS WITH CRA.  UFILE CLAIMS ONLY THE AMOUNT OF DONATIONS NECESSARY TO REDUCE FEDERAL TAX PAYABLE TO ZERO.  IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO FORCE MORE DONATIONS TO BE APPLIED BY USING " CHANGE MY RETURN " IN YOUR CRA " MY ACCOUNT.  I am testing that approach tomorrow( April 15/24)

Did you manage to test this? I think ufile has a bug around this, or at the very least, isn't very well designed to allow the full donations amount to be used to reduce both federal and provincial amounts beyond the amount required to bring the the federal owing to zero. 

I could find nowhere specifically outside of the Schedule 9 - Donations and Gifts how line 1 is calculated. I can infer though that the amount entered here is the amount required to bring the federal owing to zero. However, line 1 from Schedule 9 is also then used on the BC Provincial worksheet, even though there are more donations available. I understand it's probably better over multiple years to carry over anything not used to reduce bother federal and provincial taxes, since anything used to reduce only provincial amounts would resulting in less reduction per donation. However, having the choice would be nice.

This is further an issue when there are other deductions. For example, I actually end up with MORE tax owing when I deduct medical expenses. From what I can determine, the medical expenses are used first to reduce the federal amount before the donations. As such, the result is that Line 1 of Schedule 9 actually requires LESS donations to bring the federal to zero. This then results in the smaller amount being used for the provincial tax calculation, and since less donations are used (more are carried over), the amount owing for provincial for this year is actually more!