Français

UFile2019- Splitting Pension Income issue

Bikora2020

Please tell me how this was resolved.  I am in the same position whereby my pension is being split with my spouse who is a higher earner.  I can't seem to stop the program from doing this or confirming via sensitivity analysis if the default splitting is to my advantage.  Thanks 

• 10 months later...

Pension splitting may result in adding income to a higher income spouse but look carefully at the credits and the net family tax paid. The goal is to achieve a lower family (couples) tax paid amount. If one spouse does not have a pension then a pension split can provide an extra pension deduction/credit by allocating pension income to them. The pension split takes into account medical expenses, OAS clawbacks and other items. On the surface it may appear to increase one spouse's income but overall it can lower the combined tax paid. Make sure you test the difference before you opt to not split the pension.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello Sharon111,

In Interview go to :

>> Pension and retirement income

>> Split pension income with your spouse “+”

>> Splitting of pension income between spouses

>>Do you wish to split eligible pension income with your spouse? - - - - >Do not transfer to spouse

15 minutes ago, Geo123 said:

Hello Sharon111,

In Interview go to :

>> Pension and retirement income

>> Split pension income with your spouse “+”

>> Splitting of pension income between spouses

>>Do you wish to split eligible pension income with your spouse? - - - - >Do not transfer to spouse

I want to split the pension but at a different amount.  Can this be done?

Hello Sharon111,

Yes, as per below :

Do you wish to split eligible pension income with your spouse? Transfer to spouse (if eligible)
 If Transfer ..., enter the amount of eligible pension income to transfer to your spouse  [      ] < - - - ENTER desired amount 

3 hours ago, Geo123 said:

Hello Sharon111,

Yes, as per below :

Do you wish to split eligible pension income with your spouse? Transfer to spouse (if eligible)
 If Transfer ..., enter the amount of eligible pension income to transfer to your spouse  [      ] < - - - ENTER desired amount to enter to bring it down $2,000. You would think that would be easy but do I use the initial amount before final calculations or the final amount. I am wondering if it is even worth claiming the spousal caregivers credit.

Thank you. I am now struggling with the amount to enter to bring it down $2,000. You would think that would be easy but do I use the initial amount before final calculations or the final amount. I am wondering if it is even worth claiming the spousal caregivers credit. Taxes,yuck