Français

Can I switch "Family Head" and "Dependant"

laurenjm

I have only realized after entering ALL the information for my and my spouse's tax files that I need to switch our Family designations.  I'm currently the "Family Head" and he is listed as my "Dependant", but I need to switch this around.  

Is there a way? 

I thought of downloading our .tax and PDF files as completed so far, and was wondering if I could later upload them, instead of manually entering all the info again.

If I'm the only one with an account, would we have to create a new one under his name and then add me as a dependant?  Would my previous years files be recognized?  Or if I delete him and then add a family member again, I might be able to choose the appropriate designation for him?

Switching the family head designation from one spouse to another

The program is designed to prepare tax returns for all family members.

The person whose name appears first in the family member section of the "Interview" tab is referred to as the "family head". Unfortunately, the program is not enabled to switch the family head designation from one spouse to the other.

The program will accurately and efficiently calculate the tax returns of all family members, regardless of who is designated as the family head. The program's "MaxBack Refund Analyzer" will integrate the tax returns of all the family members.

However, if you wish to designate the other spouse as the family head, you will need to do this manually by creating a new account (UFile ONLINE) or a new file (UFile for Windows), and making sure that you first enter the person that you wish to designate as the new family head. If you decide to do so, you will also need to manually enter all of the carryforward amounts from the previous tax year correctly.

Thanks for the info.

The only reason I am considering doing it is because my husband isn't getting the LINE 303 Spouse or Common-Law Partner Amount, which I think we qualify for as he was the sole income-earner last year while I was in school.  At the moment, it's not being applied.  But maybe "MaxBack Refund Analyzer" figures it can't be used?

One other question, is there a place for us to enter his world income?  the CRA has requested this for his 2012 return and I'm sure will want it for his 2013.  

Spousal or common-law partner amount

The spouse or common-law partner amount is automatically calculated using the data entered in the spouse's file. If you have indicated your marital status as married or as a common-law spouse, the program will determine the amount that you are entitled to claim.

The program will calculate the amount and enter it on line 303 of Schedule 1, and line 5812 of your provincial forms (except Quebec).

If you did not input any amounts in your spouse's file, the program will assume that you are entitled to the full spousal amount. Make sure to enter the information regarding your spouse's income in his or her file, so that the spousal amount is calculated correctly.

In the case where there is a separation in the year, the spousal amount can still be claimed based on the net income of your ex-spouse at the time of breakdown of the relationship. In order to claim the spousal amount in the year of separation in the program, please follow these steps:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", located on the left-hand side of the screen, select "Identification".

2- Then, on the page to the right, at the question "Did your marital status change in 2013?", choose "Yes".

3- Back in the "QuikClik Navigator", click on "Ex-Spouse".

4- Complete the next page accordingly.

For more information, please consult the following link:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/303/menu-eng.html

Foreign employment income 

To enter a foreign employment income, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", located on the left-hand side of the screen, click on "Interview setup".

2- On the page appearing on the right, select "Foreign income or foreign property" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and click on "Foreign income and property".

4- On the new page generated on the right, click on "Foreign employment income".

After specifying the source and origin of the income and the exchange rate to apply, please proceed as follows:

1- If the foreign employment income is already entered on a T4:

a) You must select "Yes" for the question "Do you wish to use the overseas employment tax credit schedule T626?" if you are eligible for the overseas employment tax credit.

b) Enter the amount in the field "Foreign employment income already entered on a T4 page".

c) Enter the additional information, if necessary.

2- If the foreign employment income is not entered on a T4:

a) You must select "No" for the question "Do you wish to use the overseas employment tax credit schedule T626?"

b) Enter the amount in the field "Foreign employment income not entered on a T4 page".

c) Enter the additional information, if necessary.

For more information, please consult the IT-497 newsletter via the link below:

www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it497r4/

Ok, I'm not exactly sure what I changed to make it work, but for those reading this, here are some tips.

- We had already changed our marital status appropriately

- He is not a Canadian citizen, but I entered under the Immigrant, Emigrant, Non-resident section that his Residency Status was a "Deemed Resident - stayed in Canada 183 days or more"

- Under Foreign Income & Property, we selected "Other Income" and entered $0.00 amounts

Under my tax return (designated as Family Head but technically no income):

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", located on the left-hand side of the screen, click on "Controls".

2- At the top of the page look for "How do you wish to handle transferable deductions and credits?" and select "Optimize tax for the family"

3- For the next line, "Are you eligible to claim the spousal amount (line 303) on your return?", select "Claim if otherwise eligible"

3- At the bottom of the page, enter info for your Spouse's income (mine was NO for both, as he had an income)

Under my spouse's tax return (designated as a dependent but technically sole provider):

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", located on the left-hand side of the screen, click on "Controls".

2- At the top of the page look for "Are you eligible to claim the spousal amount (line 303) on your return?" and select "Claim if otherwise eligible"

3- At the bottom of the page, enter info for your Spouse's income (his was YES for both, as I had no income)

Hope that helps someone!

• 8 years later...

Along the original line for "Family Head", my wife is listed as the family head and passed away last year. Once I complete her final taxes, how do I remove her from the family group, and set me as the family head? I still do my daughter's taxes so I want to ensure the correct person is listed. Thanks.