Jump to content

Canada caregiver amount on line 30450


Recommended Posts

Could you please provide advice on how I can claim the Canada caregiver amount on line 30450 for my father who has a physical impairment, however  is married and does not live with me. 
It looks like the software was set up to consider a dependant only someone that is single and lives at the same address as me, however, this goes against the CRA guidelines: 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

Canada caregiver amount on line 30450

I think ufile unable to handle this part at all.

line 30450 is not accessible. If I add parent as dependent - it doesn't allow the option to select the marital status as "married". Both Parents are supported - and should be able to claim caregiver amount for both parents. The option allowed other than married which is not true for my case, so can't claim the tax credit. Am I missing something? If so let me know the direction how I could claim caregiver tax credit for both parents. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @razH, That's normal, if your parents are living with you, without necessarily being your dependents from a financial standpoint, you will have to account for their situation during tax season.

First, you must create a file for your parents so that they can file their returns separately and transmit them to the competent authorities.

If there are any remaining credits that each spouse is not able to claim for themselves, and they allow you to claim them, as well as the credit for caregivers, please proceed as follows:

1. Under the "Interview", tab on line "Family head" or the first person, click on "Add a dependent" which is located to the right on this line.

2. Under the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Identification", fill in the page that appears on your right and for the line "Marital Status on December 31, 2020", select "Single" in the drop-down menu.(Remember, you must create a file for your parents so that they can file their returns separately and transmit them. The government will receive their file as married. Here you are claiming the caregiver amount for each parent, that's why you enter single. It is not their tax return).

3. For the question "Does this taxpayer require a tax return?" in the drop-down menu on your right, choose "No", because the information is used only to allow you to claim certain credits, as both your parents will have produced their own tax returns. Click on "Next".

4. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" and select the option "Net income". Then, on the screen to your right, enter the relevant information. You can find the net income for your dependents on line 23600 of the Federal return and on line 275 of the Quebec return.

5. Under the heading "Medical and disability" on the right-hand page, select the options that are appropriate for each parent, such as the "Infirmity and disability amounts for the dependent" option. In addition, you must complete the "Canada caregiver amount to claim for this dependent / Quebec Schedule H - Eligibility and dates of the qualifying period for this dependent (Quebec line 462)".

Federal Schedule 5 will be generated in your return and will indicate whether you can claim the credit for caregivers, while for residents of Quebec, Schedule H will be generated by the program if you qualify.

Attention - For medical expenses if the dependent has paid for them, you cannot enter them in their file.

However, if you have paid for certain medical expenses please add them to his file, and keep proof that you paid them.

Return to your file under the heading "Quebec Tax Credits".

On the right-hand page, scroll down to "Quebec line 462" group and click on the plus sign "+" icon to the right of the line "Schedule H - Dwelling information for the tax credit for caregiver".

In the page that appears, select the options that are relevant to your situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @Nawal, I've followed all these steps, however I do not seem to see the credit applied on the family head tax return. 

Federal schedule 5 does not seem to have been generated as you mentioned in your post.

I was able to generate Quebec schedule H, however only Part A generated, which I believe is not applicable as the taxpayer (caregiver) is not living with the carereceiver (his mother). Why is Schedule H Part C not appearing? 

Please could you kindly help as I have tried to reach Ufile on this and they are not responsive. 




Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Hi, my mom is widow and she is 96 and living with me.  I am trying to claim Caregiver amount and have followed all the steps but why Ufile doesn't show line 30450 on my tax return?  Please advise how to claim it it.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello JIN K.,

Please verify the income.

You can also claim an amount for more than one dependant if each one meets all the following conditions:

    They were dependent on you because of an impairment in physical or mental functions
    They were 18 years of age or older
    They were your (or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s) child, grandchild, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew
    They were a resident of Canada at any time in the year. You cannot claim this amount for a person who was only visiting you
    Their net income from line 23600 of their return (or the amount it would be if they filed a return) was less than $25,195


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...